2013 Lorenzo De Zavala Youth Legislative Session
About the LDZ:
The Lorenzo de Zavala Youth Legislative Session (LDZ) is the most recognized high school age leadership program of NHI. Started in 1983, the overall challenge of the LDZ is for the students to envision themselves as part of the future leadership of a 21st Century Latino community.
This dialogue is the centerpiece of the LDZ experience, the basis for young people to share their innermost thoughts regarding their hopes and dreams for a 21st Century Latino community, and the roles they expect to play in shaping their world as future leaders.
Students are asked to assess the promise and potential of a community rooted in a reality of dual cultures. Critical thinking, collaboration, and the ability to influence outcomes will emerge as essential skills to facilitate success as a leader in the 21st century Latino community.
In short, students can expect an extraordinary experience that will leave them with the exciting knowledge that beyond their personal and professional ambitions, there is a higher calling of leadership service that NHI is preparing them to assume. View the LDZ Brochure.
The organization and management of power as a foundational tool of leadership
- Increased confidence and aptitude for building collaborative relationships in group settings
- Greater dedication to personal excellence and continued studies at national and international levels
- A cultural connection that broadens personal perspective: global in its makeup, life-long in its impact
- Increased knowledge in organizational protocol and procedure
- Insight into conflict management and problem resolution
- Skill advancement in public speaking
- Insight into constituency development and management
- Insight into governance, policy development, and policy management
The Enrollment Process:
- Complete NHI application online (this is the preferred method), or mail in a written application by deadline. (Note: Application must be signed by parent and student)
- Provide a non-reimbursable $20 application fee with the application.
- Provide a transcript or recent report card of a 3.2 Grade Point Average (on a 4.0 scale, unweighted) or better
- Provide List of Accomplishments.
- Submit to NHI.
- NHI has Gone Green! You will receive official acceptance into the program from NHI sent through PDF e-mail. Contact us for a physical copy.
- Submit $100 deposit by designated deadline to reserve space at selected NHI program.
- Submit remaining tuition payments (payment options available) by designated deadline.
- Receive final confirmation information that includes student briefing, travel information & student waivers.
- Submit final travel documents and student waivers to NHI.
Program Sites and Dates
June 9-16, 2013
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO
Nearby Airport: Denver Int'l (DEN)
|New York LDZ
July 7-14, 2013
University of Rochester
Nearby Airport: Greater Rochester Int'l (ROC)
PLEASE NOTE-Do NOT arrive to New York-La Guardia (LGA), New York-JFK (JFK) or Newark Liberty (EWR) Airports.
June 30-July 7, 2013
Nearby Airports: Chicago O'Hare Int'l (ORD) OR Chicago Midway Int'l (MDW)
July 21-28, 2013
Nearby Airport: Austin Bergstrom International Airport (AUS)
|LDZ Las Americas
June 23-30, 2013
Ciudad del Saber
Panama City, Panama
Nearby Airport: Tocumen International Airport Panama (PTY)
|U.S. LDZ Programs:
|LDZ Las Americas:
||$855.00 / $755.00 Panama Only
For more information about the Lorenzo de Zavala Youth Legislative Session contact the NHI Executive Office at 512-357-6137 or e-mail: email@example.com.