2014 Lorenzo De Zavala Youth Legislative Session (LDZ)
About the LDZ:
The Lorenzo de Zavala Youth Legislative Session (LDZ) is the most recognized high school age leadership program of NHI. Started in 1983, the overall challenge of the LDZ is for the students to envision themselves as part of the future leadership of a 21st Century Latino community.
This dialogue is the centerpiece of the LDZ experience, the basis for young people to share their innermost thoughts regarding their hopes and dreams for a 21st Century Latino community, and the roles they expect to play in shaping their world as future leaders.
Students are asked to assess the promise and potential of a community rooted in a reality of dual cultures. Critical thinking, collaboration, and the ability to influence outcomes will emerge as essential skills to facilitate success as a leader in the 21st century Latino community.
In short, students can expect an extraordinary experience that will leave them with the exciting knowledge that beyond their personal and professional ambitions, there is a higher calling of leadership service that NHI is preparing them to assume.
The organization and management of power as a foundational tool of leadership.
- Increased confidence and aptitude for building collaborative relationships in group settings.
- Greater dedication to personal excellence and continued studies at national and international levels.
- A cultural connection that broadens personal perspective: global in its makeup, life-long in its impact.
- Increased knowledge in organizational protocol and procedure.
- Insight into conflict management and problem resolution.
- Skill advancement in public speaking.
- Insight into constituency development and management.
- Insight into governance, policy development, and policy management.
The Enrollment Process:
- Complete NHI application online (this is the preferred method), or mail in a written application by deadline. (Note: Application must be signed by parent and student)
- Provide a non-reimbursable $20 application fee with the application.
- Provide a transcript or recent report card of an 88 Grade Point Average (on a 100-point scale, unweighted) or better.
- Provide List of Accomplishments.
- Submit to NHI.
- NHI has Gone Green! You will receive official acceptance into the program from NHI sent through PDF e-mail. Contact us for a physical copy.
- Submit $100 deposit by designated deadline to reserve space at selected NHI program.
- Submit remaining tuition payments (payment options available) by designated deadline.
- Receive final confirmation information that includes student briefing, travel information & student waivers.
- Submit final travel documents and student waivers to NHI.
Program Sites and Dates
July 6-13, 2014
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO
Nearby Airport: Denver International (DEN)
|New York LDZ
July 13-20, 2014
University of Rochester
Nearby Airport: Greater Rochester International (ROC)
Do NOT arrive to New York-La Guardia (LGA), New York-JFK (JFK) or Newark Liberty (EWR) Airports.
June 29 - July 6, 2014
Nearby Airports: Chicago O'Hare International (ORD) or Chicago Midway International (MDW)
July 20-27, 2014
The University of Texas at Austin
Nearby Airport: Austin Bergstrom International (AUS)
|Las Americas LDZ
June 29-July 6, 2014
Ciudad del Saber
Panama City, Panama
Nearby Airport: Tocumen International Panama (PTY)
June 22-29, 2014
University of San Diego
San Diego, CA
Nearby Airport: San Diego
|U.S. LDZ Programs:
|Las Americas LDZ:
|| $855.00 ($755.00 Panama Only)
For more information about the LDZ Youth Legislative Session contact the NHI Executive Office at 512-357-6137 or e-mail: email@example.com.