About the Great Debate:
The Great Debate allows high school freshmen the opportunity to test and improve their written and verbal communication skills through organized discussions and debates about issues that impact today's Latino community. Students gain confidence in public speaking and an appreciation of communication as a powerful tool of leadership. Students gain experience creating content-rich arguments, communicating them through powerful, eloquent expression, and carefully analyzing the arguments presented by their peers. View the Great Debate brochure.
Communication as a powerful tool of leadership
- Expanded written and verbal communication skills
- Increased knowledge of advanced vocabulary
- Greater confidence in seeking out and taking on leadership roles
- Increased knowledge and awareness of issues vital to the 21st century Latino community leadership coaching and team building
- Project Management
- Curriculum planning in local student development
The Enrollment and Admissions Process:
1. Complete NHI application online (this is the preferred method), or mail in a written application by deadline. (Note: Application must be signed by parent and student)
2. Provide a non-reimbursable $20 application fee with the application.
3. Provide a transcript or recent report card of a 3.0 Grade Point Average (on a 4.0 scale, unweighted) or better
4. Submit to NHI via online application or via mail. (applications without the $20 application fee will not be processed for acceptance)
5. NHI has Gone Green! You will receive official acceptance into the program from NHI sent through e-mail. You may request a mailed copy at email@example.com.
6. Submit $100 deposit by designated deadline to reserve space at selected NHI program.
7. Submit remaining tuition payments (payment options available) by designated deadline.
8. Receive final confirmation information that includes student briefing, travel information & student waivers.
9. Submit final travel documents and student waivers to NHI.
Program Sites and Dates
Texas Great Debate
June 13-16, 2013
Texas Star Great Debate
June 25-30, 2013
Texas A&M Int'l University
Midwest Great Debate
July 11-14 2013
Rock Island, IL
Northeast Great Debate
July 23-28, 2013
Texas Ambassador Great Debate
July 25-28, 2013
University of Texas at Austin
Four day programs:
Six day programs:
For more information about the Great Debate call NHI headquarters at 512-357-6137 or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.