2014 Great Debate
About the Great Debate:
The Great Debate allows high school freshmen the opportunity to test and improve their written and verbal communication skills through organized discussions and debates about issues that impact today's Latino community. Students gain confidence in public speaking and an appreciation of communication as a powerful tool of leadership. Students gain experience creating content-rich arguments, communicating them through powerful, eloquent expression, and carefully analyzing the arguments presented by their peers.
Communication as a powerful tool of leadership.
- Expanded written and verbal communication skills.
- Increased knowledge of advanced vocabulary.
- Greater confidence in seeking out and taking on leadership roles.
- Increased knowledge and awareness of issues vital to the 21st century Latino community. leadership coaching and team building.
- Project Management.
- Curriculum planning in local student development.
The Enrollment Process:
1. Complete NHI application online (this is the preferred method), or mail in a written application by deadline. (Note: Application must be signed by parent and student)
2. Provide a non-reimbursable $20 application fee with the application.
3. Provide a transcript or recent report card of an 88 Grade Point Average (on a 100-point scale, unweighted) or better.
4. Submit to NHI via online application or via mail. (applications without the $20 application fee will not be processed for acceptance)
5. NHI has Gone Green! You will receive official acceptance into the program from NHI sent through e-mail. You may request a mailed copy at email@example.com.
6. Submit $100 deposit by designated deadline to reserve space at selected NHI program.
7. Submit remaining tuition payments (payment options available) by designated deadline.
8. Receive final confirmation information that includes student briefing, travel information & student waivers.
9. Submit final travel documents and student waivers to NHI.
Program Sites and Dates:
Texas Great Debate (4Day)
June 12-15, 2014
Texas Star Great Debate (6Day)
July 13-18, 2014
Our Lady of the Lake University San Antonio, TX
Midwest Great Debate (6Day)
July 8-13, 2014
Rock Island, IL
Northeast Great Debate (6Day)
July 22-27, 2014
Villanova, PA (Philadelphia)
Texas Ambassador Great Debate (4Day)
July 24-27, 2014*
University of Texas at Austin
|(*) Indicates "tentative"
4 day programs:
6 day programs:
For more information about the Great Debate call NHI headquarters at 512-357-6137 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org